A mobile plant is associated with many risk factors. To get the permission to work on a site, business owners need to adhere to safety guidelines and compliances outlined by work health & safety agency(govt.) If you stick to basics then getting clearance is not an uphill task. There are several reputed private agencies that help clients assess the risk and get the clearance.
What is a Mobile Plant?
Any machinery, appliance, tool, implement; any fittings and components of this equipment are classified as a plant. As described by work health & safety regulation, powered mobile plant is provided with some kind of self-propulsion which is directly under the control of the operator. Types of mobile plant:
- A plant that is used to lift/move material or people.For example cranes, forklifts, elevating work platforms, dumpers etc.
- Earth movers like excavators, bulldozer, backhoes, draglines etc.
WHS regulates the registration of plant, operation standards and licensing of high-risk plant operation. The mobile plant is associated with risk to safety and health of both operators and workmen working on the site. So, it becomes important to understand the hazards and frame standard operating procedures to achieve a safe and healthy working environment.
Identification of Hazards
There are several industries where these mobile plants are used. Risk factors are associated with the type of usage. Some of the hazards that are found in workplaces are:
- Mechanical: Person getting hit by moving plant, its projected parts, damage to PPE’s etc.
- Noise: Contact with vibrating plant and tools.
- Manual Handling: Handling unstable and heavy loads.
- Work Environment: Working under bad light or bad weather, narrow working space.
- Chemical Substances: Inhalation of chemical substance in workplace.
- Biological: Working in an area prone to microbes and mosquitoes.
- Gravitational: Falling from height, working under suspended load.
The mobile-crane related incident generally happens due to lack of planning at workplace, poor handling of equipment, no standard working procedure and un-skilled people.
What is the Desirable Compliance?
The risk analysis process comprises of identifying the severity of the hazard, compliance level of business operator and the probability of such risks in near future. Only after satisfactory observation work permits are issued.
- Business owners must manage the general risks associated with health and safety.
- Standard operating procedure documented and in practice at workplace.
- Specific control measures of mobile plant like prevention of collision, authorizing only trained persons to operate and assist in loading.
- The plant must be used according to its design specification.
- Unused plant should be removed from the site.
- Installation of warning devices.
- Self-inspection and assessment of plant by a competent person.
How Can an Agency Help You?
There are so many legislations that need to be adhered before applying for a license, getting site clearance becomes a real headache if you are not able to get in first assessment. If you are finding difficult to manage by own employees then you can certainly take help of a mobile plant risk assessment agency who are expert in documentation and aware of all legislation that needs to comply.
- The agency assesses the workplace and mobile plants deployed there.
- Provides observation report.
- Based on current legislation the agency provides list of accessories that need to be replaced.
- They also identify the wrong procedures followed at the site.
- The visible sign boards, safety system is also recommended by the group.
- They carry the process fast so that equipment doesn’t remain idle.
- Once you comply with the observations, apply to the necessary government body for registration and site clearance.